Without no doubt has the current situation of migration and refugee flows brought completely new challenges to the European societies which they never had to deal before in any similar way. At the same time we have to acknowledge that the group of migrants currently entering the European Union as asylum seekers are a very diverse group concerning their education and qualification background. OECD studies show that about 40% of Syrian asylum seekers own a kind of upper secondary degree whereas the Afghan asylum seekers only 12-15% have this kind of qualification. Moreover, and this is certainly different to all experiences from the past, migrants are coming from totally different education systems, labour market conditions, work conditions etc. which are nearly impossible to compare with European Standards.
In front of this situation it is nearly impossible to simply recognise a certificate or diploma (if available at all), this would unfortunately be the easy and positive exemption. This developments and situation lead to two quite dangerous reaction for the European VET systems and labour markets:
- solutions are built on national level without taking into account European standards and instruments (like EQF and ECVET for recognition)
- approaches are diversified between several organisations (one responsible for recognition, one for training plan, one for guidance, one for labour market insertion, one for work placements etc.) Both trends need to be avoided and lead to the immediate need for a labour market integration model for refugees AND asylum seekers with a positive acceptance perspective which is:
- based on European approaches and instruments in competence based VET (ECVET and EQF / NQF)
- holistic, combining recognition of prior formal/non-formal/informal learning with language assessment, social assessment and elaboration of an individual, personalised inclusion plan for each person
- easy to manage for authorities and carriers
- efficient in terms of resources needed and outcome achieved
- oriented towards professions and labour market sectors with clear labour demand
- accessible for all and oriented towards the principles of equal opportunities
The main objective of the NCNA project is to develop an innovative and target group oriented model for the assessment, validation and recognition of prior experiences and informal learning of refugees and asylum seekers with positive perspective to stay, based on learning outcomes approach and using instruments, credits and descriptors from EQF and above all ECVET. The NCNA model will be European, target group oriented and holistic and is the necessary new solution for the upcoming challenges for the European VET systems as well as labour markets.
For this objective the following intellectual outputs are planned:
- Investigtion study
- NCNA Model Handbook
- NCNA Personalised Labour Market Integration Plan
These three core outputs will be supported by two multiplier events as well as one joint staff training event as learning, teaching or training activity during the project implementation.
The partnership consists of highly specialised organisations in the field of VET training, acceditation and recognition of prior learning and experiences, social partners, target group associations, NGOs and public organisations who have all high interest and considerable experiences in the project field and outputs. Partner countries are: AT, DE, FI, IT, HR, SI and UK.