The furniture sector, one of the key traditional sectors of economy in Europe, has been gradually adapting to ICTs and industry 4.0. In this context education is to keep pace with the students and the industry by introducing new ways of learning that represent a compelling and innovative alternative for the development of future competencies.
ENCOURAGING SUnRISE project explores the use of gamification and the Simulation Learning Environment, which has already seen successful applications in other domains, and will introduce gamification to the wood and furniture sector.
The ENCOURAGING SUnRISE project aims to improve training for young people in the furniture sector, making it more attractive thanks to new digital tools like gamification and simulation learning environment.
ENCOURAGING SuNRISE project strives to:
- promote open and innovative education through the digital integration of an updated quality learning content
- attract new young learners and make the training in the furniture sector more by attractive offering digital tools
- thus improving the access to high-quality and modernized education for all.
The project produces the following main outcomes:
- Training path design. First, the project analyses and collects data from various furniture companies throughout Europe to see what kinds of skills are needed in education and industry. The partners come up with the list of transversal skills needed in furniture and other traditional sectors,and define the training path with corresponding units.
- Reality background in game-based learning. Then the poject is going to adapt the training to the reality of these companies by applying areality background about the furniture sector that will be implemented in the simulation tool.
- Course through a simulation videogame. For that, an IT tool will be developed where students will be able to play and learn the course in a simulated real environment (a factory). Students will step in the shoes of a furniture company manager and have to take certain decisions in order to acquire skills and knowledge needed in the future work. This will offer a chance for alignment of the needs and opportunities that traditional industries offer through innovative didactic approaches.
- Blueprint and sustainability plan. The resulting training course ensuringthat the younger generations are technically prepared and motivated to work in this specific sector will be openly and freely availabe onlince, as wellas in the Blueprint for the transformation of furniture and wood sector VET programmes according to new ICT tools, which will be developed in the project.
All learning outcomes will be assigned ECVET credits and will also be referenced to the NQF of the participating countries, to foster recognition and transparency for the newly developed skills of the participants.